Thursday, February 9, 2012


After a wonderful experience visiting Costa Rica, I have learned a lot about the environment throughout the world and what we as humans can do to help preserve the area around us. Being home for three week now since the trip, I have noticed myself changing some daily behaviors, thoughts and feelings. I have also noticed that I pay more attention to the food I am eating, whether it is organic and/or all natural. I have noticed myself grabbing the all natural or organic brands when food shopping. After learning about how different foods are made and how these practices can help the environment tremendously, it has changed the way I look at the practices companies are involved with. I believe that by making these changes in my lifestyle it will increase my own well-being and hopefully influence the ones around me as well. 


Before the trip, sustainability was never something I had thought about, however, after the trip I have noticed sustainability being talked about on websites, commercials and other advertisements that I had not noticed before this trip. I have also noticed myself educating the people that I come in contact with throughout a daily basis. I have critiqued my mom’s shopping and suggested different products she could buy along with giving her evidence to why I feel this way by sharing what I have learned from being abroad. I also have educated friends about certain things I have learned while also giving them advice about what products to pay attention to for sustainable practices. I have definitely been more aware of my recycling behaviors and have attempted to get the people I live with on board as well. It is important to understand the impact you can have on the environment by changing small behaviors. 
Being home for three weeks, I have already missed the freshly handpicked coffee from Costa Rica along with the fresh food that was provided to us every day (especially the fruit). The knowledge I have now after my experience abroad has definitely influenced my thoughts, feelings and behaviors towards sustainable practices domestically and I hope to educate the ones around me to change their feelings and behaviors as well to help the well-being of our country. 




Laura Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment