Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Missing Costa Rica



Since leaving Costa Rica, I’ve been noticing more everyday how much I take for granted. While being abroad, I experienced many sustainability efforts on every part of the trip. At school, I’ve been noticing that my suitemates almost always leave the lights on. I now make a point to turn them off when I leave a room, and even tell my suitemates to as well. The fact that they would keep the lights on when leaving a room shocked me. At one of the hotels we stayed at, the lights would turn off when we were not in the room to conserve energy. I feel it is important to educate people about the importance of being sustainable and the positive results associated with it.

Of course, I miss the amazing coffee. I have since been much more particular about what kind of coffee I buy. Yes, the coffee is different here, but I have mainly been purchasing coffee from a company that participates in fair-trade and sustainable practices. Now that I am aware of how to identify if coffee is fair-trade, it makes it easier to understand the importance. I explain to others that buying fair-trade coffee is important for the entire supply chain, mainly the producing countries and workers there who sometimes make far less than they should.
 




I also miss being surrounded by nature at all time and the fresh produce. The Highland Fruit Tour was one of my favorite tours I went on. I wish I could go outside and eat an avocado off the tree like I did on this tour. It was here that I first tried fresh guacamole and fell in love. Since then I’ve tried to replicate it, but it just isn’t the same. Now when I go grocery shopping, I only buy organic produce. Knowing that no chemicals or pesticides were used on it persuades me to buy this fruit.

I do hope to return to this beautiful country soon!

Sarah Geissler


No comments:

Post a Comment