Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lights Off, Sustainability On


“That’s not being very sustainable” is a phrase I never thought I would hear myself say. However, since being back from Costa Rica, I have found myself saying it a lot, whether it is to myself, my family, or my friends. I have become much more aware of the environmental abuse around me. This includes wasting food, overusing electricity, and not recycling.
While in Costa Rica I saw how much impact the sustainable practices of one person can have on a country. I have definitely seen a change in behavior in myself and I know I will continue to think and act sustainability. One of my favorite parts since being back is educating the people around me and noticing the difference in their behavior as well. For example, my friends now turn the lights off when they leave a room, or hit the power switch on the stereo or television rather than leaving it on all night. This makes me feel good because I know every small act makes a difference.

Not everybody has the privilege of traveling to Costa Rica and seeing first-hand the beauty and greatness of a sustainable culture and environment. This is why I find it most important to spread my knowledge and experience with as many people as I can. Costa Rica is happiest country on this planet and they do it with significantly less resources than the United States has. If they are capable of this behavior, there is hope that we can do it too.

Samantha Fenimore

No comments:

Post a Comment