Thursday, February 23, 2012

Life away from Costa Rica


Before leaving for Costa Rica, I would talk to my family and friends and tell them about the wonderful opportunity I was provided with.  They would all ask what kind of class it was and when I told them marketing sustainability, their immediate question was “what is sustainability”.  For the most part I would say that I honestly didn’t really know and that was the reason why I was going.  Coming back from Costa Rica my response is very different.  I can give them a not only a “definition” but give them examples of how I saw sustainable practices put into place.  Costa Rica is one of the most sustainable countries in the world.  Their whole country is submerged in the idea and everyone does their part to help make the country more sustainable.  Since being back I have noticed more than ever how much I personally and we as a whole country waste.

Coming back to Bryant I have made many changes to become more sustainable and to help the world in general.  I have found myself shutting off the lights in my suite and my room when I leave as well as unplugging my cell phone charger and straightener after I use them.  After experiencing all of the different tours, I have also found myself looking for organic products and trying to cut out processed foods.  Not only have I tried to make changes in my life but I have tried to talk to my family and friends and help them change their lives.  Sustainability is not about making the biggest changes you can; it is about creating small changes in your life and in the lives of those around you.  If we can all do a little bit it will create a large impact.

There are a lot of things that I miss about Costa Rica.  Besides the exotic animals and breath-taking views, I miss the coffee, fresh fruit and of course our tour guide Jonathan.  Before going to Costa Rica I was not much of a coffee drinker, but while being there I started to really enjoy coffee.  The other thing that I really miss from Costa Rica is the fresh fruit that was served every day.  Going to the Highland Fruit Tour and having fruit picked right off the true five minutes before we arrived was amazing.  The thing I will miss most about Costa Rica was our hero and tour guide, Jonathon. 

Pura Vida!


Jennifer Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment